It may seem like just another ordinary day for your staff at work. Little did you expect that a simple click of an unknown email link is about to threaten your entire business.
Do you still think that your business is too small to be noticed by hackers? Think again.
In August 2016, Phoon Huat, a homegrown baking supplies company had plans to go digital. Ramsomware affected the systems. This sufficiently compromised for the company to delay the launch of their e-commerce system.
Cyber attacks exist in various forms, and are visibly on the rise in recent years.
Examples of high-profile cyber attacks locally and internationally:
- An attack on entertainment company, Sony Pictures, led to the leakage of emails and files of unreleased Sony films
- Breach of over 76 million JPMorgan Chase banking customers account
- Illegal access of about 1,560 SingPass accounts
- Hackers leaked more than 300,000 customers details of karaoke chain KBox
- A string of hacking incidents on Singapore government websites, including that of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Cyber threats are real in Singapore. “As we become more digitally connected, such threats will continue to increase in sophistication. Both public and private sector organisations are equally vulnerable,” Dr Yaacob said. Adding that individuals can also do their part to be vigilant and practise good cyber hygiene.
All these incidents highlighted the rising sophistication of cyber security attacks and the need for heightened vigilance.
As the old proverb goes, prevention is always better than cure. Speak to us today to learn more way to increase your web security.